The Magic City

The Magic City

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

E-readers Killed My Gift List


Giving books as gifts used to be my thing. I loved finding a book for a friend or family member as a Christmas or birthday present that would introduce them to a new friend or world. I would spend the year trying to get signed books for a gift basket. It was my quest. My mission.

Then came the Kindle, the Nook, the iPad and the digital revolution. It swept me away. I'll knife you if you lay a finger on my Nook Color. All my books are in one place. No piles toppling off the nightstand. No lost paperbacks on trips. Everyone in my family is on board. You know the revolution is in full swing when my mother and mother-in-law both have e-readers.

But what can I get people for presents if they are going to electronic books? Gift cards? I can hear my grandmother tisk-tisking at that idea right now. It feels like cheating. Maybe I could wrap the card in a suggested reading list.

I can't be alone in this dilemma. How do you plan on adapting to the digital revolution when it comes to sharing your favorite authors and stories? 

1 comment:

  1. Ha--I have the same problem! Fortunately, a lot of my gift recipients are still in the stone age--or the paper age, so I haven't had to totally overhaul my gift list yet. And then it'll just have to be a nice gift card. Hey, I love getting gift cards :-)

    ReplyDelete